Saturday 29 January 2011

Play Date Cafe ~ Colour challenge.

Two cards to share today.... first off is the last one I just finished for the Play Date Cafe Challenge #66 ~ A splash of Colour~  this time Lilac or any other version of Purple.  I have been thinking about this card for a few days....

Splash of Lavender PDCC66

It didn't quite go to plan.  I originally was going to reverse mask the spot I wanted to highlight and colour it directly on the card... but it did not stamp clearly so had to stamp it again and colour and cut out.  I then made the frame with the spellbinders dies.  I added the Martha Stewart punched lace at the last minute as I had cut it out to try out my new punch and it was just the right colour to add some texture to the card.

My next card is the one I spent most of the day working on.... using the wonderful watercolour paper that Sue made for me.

Friends Together Watercolour

I used half of the sheet for a card front.  I stamped a whole lot of different stamps on it in very light colours ~ was going for a subtle look.  Used part of a Hero Arts Collage stamp( the writing bit), HA Musical background, Envelope Pattern and then an unknown Crackle stamp.  Used Brilliance Moonlight White, Platinum Planet, Key Lime and Starlite Silver and Distress Ink Scattered Straw.  The focal panel was a Freebie image from Crafter's Digital Art Centre (here, but get it quick as it is only available while the challenge is on).  I made the flowers as well, but didn't want to waste the wonderful watercolour paper so made some similar coloured paper with distress inks.


I cut out a small Spellbinders Eyelet circle die and cut it into a spiral and rolled it from the outside in to use the scallops.  Made one medium and two small ones.  And used another Spellbinders die to make the tag.  All in all, it took quite awhile but I am happy with the results.


Happy news is that Hubby managed to change his homeward flight and gets back Wednesday afternoon.  He will most probably fly back again for Helen's funeral mid February, this time with his younger brother.


If you made it this far, many thanks for stopping by.  All your comments are appreciated.

11 comments:

donna mikasa said...

Two great cards, Dawn! You put so much thought into your cards. The second one reminds me of Winnie the Pooh with the soft colors. The scallop edged flowers turned out nicely, too. Must give that a try....

Pajalu said...

Wow Dawn two fantastic cards. I love them both. They are so pretty & your flowers look amazing. Thanks for the link xoxoxoxo

Maria said...

Lovely cards!!!

Michele Gross said...

Just lovely! I love how you left the poppies in black and white and just made the focal point purple-so pretty! Glad you played with us at The Play Date Cafe!

Fiona said...

Dawn that is a lovely card you made to join in with the challenge at the PDCC :) Thanks for playing along!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Well you did me proud Dawn with the watercolour paper, I have not done mine as yet!!!!
The cards wonderful.
You have coloured the free image really well too. The eyelet Flowers look fantastic, this is a great idea. Good news that Peter is coming home soon.
Smiles:)

Barb said...

Love both cards, Dawn! That background Sue made is amazing and you used it beautifully! So glad to hear you hubby will be back soon! Hugs!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful cards! Love the watercolor effect so soft and pretty! The lavender is beautiful! Love how you highlighted using the circle.

Tiffany Ervin said...

Beautiful cards Dawn! I love all the purple highlights on your first card!

Jinny Newlin said...

That cut circle is such a great way to draw attention to your lilac, focal point! Thanks so much for playing along with us, this week, in the Cafe!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Super pretty cards--love that border punch on the first one! And that circle around the poppy is PERFECT:) Thanks so much for playing along with us and for joining in the fun at the PDCC!!!