Monday 17 September 2018

Twofer Card Challenge #9 - Leaves



I woke this morning with a massive headache.... all I wanted to do was sleep... so I did till nearly 11.00am.  A couple of Paracetamol and something to eat and felt a bit better.  So did some blog hopping and saw a few girls doing Darnell's Twofer Card Challenge.   I've seen this challenge before but never got myself organised enough.  Challenge #9 is Leaves.  I have a Catherine Pooler Leaf stamp set "Leaf Motifs" that has never been used -still sealed in my stamp drawer.  So this was a good time to get it out.  The idea behind the challenge is to use one stamp or die based on the theme, in two different sort of cards.   So here are my two cards 

 One a sort of Autumn/Fall thanksgiving type of card and the other one a Christmas one.


 For this first one, I took the leave from the set and stamped it onto some lightweight water colour paper and using my Altenew paints added some greens and orange-brown colours.  My background was a cheerful mistake.  I used my cloth to dab off some of the excess water/paint and accidentally pressed it onto the card.  The texture caused a "rag roll" type of background which I really loved, so did some more.  Finished with a large greeting from another Catherine Pooler set "Autumn Blessings: another NBUS set!   (got them when it was coming into Summer last year)   Anyhoo... edged the card panel with some gold paint pen and added it to a very dark wine coloured card base.


 For my second card I used the leaf together with a smaller one from the set, to make a Poinsettia which was embossed with Rose Gold powder from Altenew and painted with the Altenew paints.  A very loose watercoluring style was used and added some dark red/pink splatters and some gold splatters with a gold Wink of Stella pen. The sentiment from a CP Christmas set was embossed in the same Rose Gold onto some heavy weight vellum and a few sequins added.  

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you all have a great week.

9 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Wonderful cards Dawn - the blessings one is quite dramatic, and I love the poinsettia one - a very clever use of the stamps
Blessings
Maxine

Happy Dance said...

Fabulous cards, Dawn. The background on your first card certainly is a happy accident! It accents those leaves perfectly. And I love how you've watercolored them, too. Your poinsettia turned out beautifully. We had one in that same color family in church last Christmas, and I was fascinated by it! Love the gold embossing and the splatters too. Great cards. Thank you for joining us at the Twofer Challenge. Bev

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Wow Dawn - two great cards with that pretty leaf! Just love the trio of leaves on card one and the poinsettia you created for card two!!

Betty said...

these are both gorgeous cards, Dawn - certainly look like winners to me! and i woke with a headache this morning too - what's with that??? maybe we both wanted to sleep in and then make card!

Darnell said...

I'm sorry about your migraine, Dawn. I get those, too, and know how they knock you out. The ordeal certainly didn't dampen your creativity! Your cards are magnificent! I was really intrigued to read how you created the rag roll background on accident. It is so pretty in the fall colors and it made a perfect background for your gorgeous leaves! The gold trim, large sediment, and dark base were great choices! And your Christmas poinsettia is breathtaking! I love the way the gold embossing, rich colors, and all the schplatters turned out and the gold embossed vellum sediment lets the poinsettia be the star she is!! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #9! I hope to see you again!! Hugs, Darnell

Greta said...

What a great leaf image--love it! Your cards are both absolutely gorgeous, Dawn!

creationsnz said...

Both super cards Dawn as always, specially like the second one with the dash of pppppink and the vellum. CarolG

Monika Reeck said...

Both are adorable
my fav is the flower one with glitter in gold and many gold sequin
great made Dawn
I try to catch up today
hope it bring smile to your face
hugs
Monika

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Wow! Dawn I utterly LOVE the way you've used those leaves. Two very different creations, both fabulous! The one that looks like a poinsettia is inspired! Gorgeous job hun. Hugs, Wends xoxo