Saturday 22 January 2011

Shabby Chic....

I very much admire card makers who are good at making shabby chic/vintage cards....Sue and Jacqueline are prime examples  but just google " shabby chic cards" and you get a multitude.   I was looking through an Australian Card and Papermaking magazine yesterday and was inspired to give this look a go.  This is not my usual style but in the end I was rather pleased with the outcome.... even if it took quite some time to come together.
I started with a sheet of Webster's Pages (A Sweet Life ~Home Sweet Home) which I trimmed one corner to fit.  I edged it with Peeled Paint distress and then used a blending tool to colour the bottom third of the piece.  I stamped the words "dream" and "inspire" ( Fiskars stamp set) and then just inked up the bird from a Hero Arts cling (Bird in a Circle)  I coloured the bird with some Faber Castell pencils and OMS.  I added some lace and ribbon and then stamped a clock face (Teresa Collins set) onto some of the rest of the PP.  I used a small nestibility to cut it out and pop dotted onto the card.  Once I had it matted onto the white and tan card I added some flowers and the pin ( a gift from Pia from nearly 2 years ago!) I added some brown pearls... one to the flower centre and several others on the flourish in the corner. The Webster's Pages really made it easy to get the lovely shabby chic look.  I've just bought some of their on-line papers - here.  Just waiting for my download code so I can save them to my computer. 

I am also very pleased with the photo I look of the card.  Michelle is having a give away on her blog for a light tent.  It looked really cool so I did some research and found a place in Christchurch selling them on Trade Me.... very reasonably price too... so I ordered one and it arrived this week.  Its only 30cm x 30 cm but is perfect for a card.  It comes with 4 different coloured backgrounds... white/black/blue/red.  Plus I'm sure I could make more if needed. 

Update on hubby's sister.... she is still hanging in there.... He is flying off to London on Monday evening... arriving mid morning their time on Tues.  Praying she will last till then so he can say his goodbyes.  His older brother went over on Thursday.  A very sad time for them all. 

thanks for visiting.... take care

8 comments:

Pajalu said...

Dawn I wish there was a better outcome for your SIL. I to hope your dh gets there in time. I love the card. I aslo admire people who can do Shabby Chic. Your card is a wonderful example :D xoxoxoxo

Betty said...

hi dawn - this post is so full of goodies - beautiful vintage card!! i love them and want to try to do more. didn't know webster's pages could be downloaded and i also have gone on a search for a light tent - have not been satisfied with my makeshift one. hope your husband gets to london to say his goodbyes - have a high school friend given 3 months - it is so sad for everyone. hugs

Lin said...

Well done, Dawn! Love all the elements you brought together here!!

Such sad news about your sister-in-law....keeping you all in my prayers.

Anita Rex said...

Oh I really hope your hubby makes it there in time! My mother and aunt were on the airplane in Croatia just about there when my aunt died! It was so hard. I really like your card. I also admire the shabby look but I know there is no way for me to achieve it! I should look into a light tent, I didn't realize they are so affordable! :>

Scrumplescrunch said...

My goodness a Shabby cum Vintage card!!!!
Is it my inspiration that is exciting your creative juices that you would challenge yourself to make such a card.
I'm thinking of course it is!
(I answered myself) and said YES,YES and YES.
Now Dawn, did you enjoy the process?
As you may now realise, these are not quick cards to make!
I think you have done a great Job.
The flourish, bird and pin in flower are wonderful elements,they all tie together. That is the secret to these cards, the placement of elements and knowing when to stop!

I am thinking of you Dawn.
You will not be prepared for the inevitable, so just remember we are all here for you.
Smiles:)

Suzanne C said...

Fabulous shabby chic card. Love the pieces you assembled. Sending hugs to the family and prayers.

Sanne said...

Gorgeous, wonderful, cute cards since my last visit Dawn - great details!!!!!

Arlene said...

Love this - it's a clean collage look - beautifully done.

Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. :(