Sunday, 30 August 2026

Two cards, two inspirations...

I have two cards to share today: one I made on Friday for a retirement party we attended, and another I created on Saturday for Amy’s Woodblock Wednesday Challenge.

First up is the retirement card. It was made for a woman who had worked with my husband for nearly 30 years. She is heading to Vietnam for a holiday, with a friend,  in a few weeks, so that became the inspiration for the design.

I used Pingwing to find a beach scene, printed it onto an A2 card, and then trimmed it down with a Gina K Master Layout die. I had recently purchased a jandals die, which was perfect for the theme, so I cut the jandals from gold glitter card from Altenew and some black card. To finish, I created the sentiment on my laptop using Word.

My next card came about on Saturday while I was doing a bit of tidying up. As I sorted through some of my woodblock stamps, I realised I was still in time to join Amy’s Woodblock Wednesday Challenge.



For this card, I used a Penny Black stamp called Gossamer. It is such a pretty image, and I came up with the idea to ink blend around the flower, then paint the flower in a lighter tone of the same colour.

I stamped the image and die cut it with a Pinkfresh Studio Folk Edge die. After masking the flower, I added Distress Ink in Tumbled Glass and Broken China, blending the colour all around the image. I then used a light wash of Tumbled Glass as paint, with a little Mowed Lawn for the leaves and flower centres.

The sentiment is from a Penny Black photopolymer set, Je T’aime Paris, and I finished the card with a little die cut butterfly from Monte’s Craft Supplies Layered Butterflies die. 

I'm entering this into the Penny Black Saturday Challenge - Anything Goes - optional Things with Wings. 

I was really pleased with how this one came together — it turned out just as I had imagined. Thanks so much for stopping by to see today’s cards.

6 comments:

Arlene said...

Great retirement card. It creates the effect of totally immersing oneself into enjoying a day or more doing nothing but enjoying a retirement. The flowers really pop on your background for your other card.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Love the flip-flops on the beach, Dawn!! And your woodblock creation looks amazing!!

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh my goodness Dawn, these are both stunning - wonderful work!! So different and yet both beautiful
Blessings
Maxine

Helen said...

Beautiful cards!
Thanks for playing at the Penny Black Saturday Challenge!
Helen x
PS - apologies for the late comment, I've had problems getting comments to publish recently!

Greta said...

Love the background you printed for the retirement card and the flip flops look great done in gold glitter paper! I remember that PB stamp, but don't think I have it. Absolutely love your card! At first I thought you bleached the flower, but using the light wash of the same color is even better! I definitely want to try that!

creationsnz said...

Oh I love this one Dawn, very painterly and appears to luminous with the light coming from behind the flower. Great stuff! CarolG