Tuesday 12 January 2010

Sweet Valentines

We do not "do" Valentines in New Zealand to the same degree as some other areas... we do not make little cards or gifts for teachers, friends etc.... but I have made a couple of cards over the last two nights.... to enter into the Hero Arts Friendship/Valentines challenge and one for Lucy's challenge.
I started by downloading the Papertrey Inks Try before you buy Simple Valentine sampler.  It has lovely sized samples on this one - perfect for cutting up and using as... you guessed it....a quilt card.

After I had cut out the Labels 8, I embossed the quilt with a Sizzix die.  I then drew around the outside of the die and hand cut it to get the red border.  I added the ribbon... and then thought about what do do next!!!  So when I decided on the label I had to untie the ribbon add the tag and retie... what a pain!!!  I had to improvise a bit with the tag as the set I used only has an opening in one end.  So once I had cut it out, I turned it around and recut so both ends had an opening.  I then matted the quilt onto the swiss dotted white card - edged with Distress ink (Worn Lipstick) and then onto a red card base.  This is the one for Lucy's challenge.

This next one might be for Deborah's January card chain challenge.... not quite sure yet ... it doesn't quite fit her sketch,.... but does fit the theme of Valentine's.  Again I used the Papertry Inks sampler to form a patterned background.  Love the colours on this set.  The image is a digi image from Heather Ellis's Pure Innocence range.  See them here;  They are just adorable and being digi can be resized as you want.  I coloured her in with a watercolour pen, distress inks and Tombow markers.  Used nesties to cut out the circle and scallop.  The sentiment was done in individual letters with a Hero Arts Clear Sparkle set and Worn Lipstick distress ink. 

Well as usual a longish post.... hope it's not too boring.  Life is getting back to normal in our house again now I'm back at work.   Our son is off to Thailand this week for a 3 week holiday with his girlfriend.... a bit scary as Thailand is such a long way off.... but I suppose at 21 he is a big boy now and can take care of himself.

Thanks again for stopping by and a big thanks to all of you who make such encouraging comments.
take care



8 comments:

Lin said...

Love these both, Dawn, and thanks for the link to the papers. My fave is the first one - it really does look like a quilt!

Tiffany Ervin said...

Beautiful Dawn! That pp from PTI is super fabulous to put together as a quilt, I love that idea!!

Lucy Abrams said...

Lovely Dawn - that quilt looks wonderful, and the image is so sweet. Thanks for entering my challenge.

Vanessa said...

Both cards are adorable! Love the PTI paper, too!

Hugs,
Vanessa

linda said...

Beautiful cards! Love all the patterned paper you used, so cool. I think Valentine's might be really commercial in the states...but it would be nice to create love cards any time of the year for loved ones..hehe!

Suzanne C said...

The quilt backgrounds are gorgeous! Love how you embossed on the background on the first one! Gorgeous cards! Sorry you are back at work. :( and have less time to play.

Kelly Booth said...

LOVe both cards Dawn....so Pretty and Cute! Don't cha just love those pure innocence images?? I think they are really special.....

Virginia L. said...

SWEET cards you made, Dawn! Love your design!!