Sunday 9 January 2011

More Hero Arts Inspiration

I was browsing through Hero Arts Catalogue and was inspired by a butterfly card on Page 11
It used my all time favourite stamps set - CL383 Antique Engravings.   I decided to CASE this card, with a few changes of course.... ( again don't have all the stamps)
I started by stamping the butterfly and masking it.  Then I stamped two background stamps - Music background and Silhouette Grass... I used some of the brown shades of Distress ink.  However, the background was darker than the look I was trying to achieve so I scrapped the card...tore of the top half and turfed it in the scrap pile and started again....
masking the butterfly.  I then used a lighter colour ink and stamped the Grass only, twice in different colours of ink.


I added a portion of slightly textured card at the bottom of the card and used a Spellbinders die to cut a tag which I stamped with text stamp by Hero Arts.  I threaded some brown PP through the tag as I didn't have just the right colour ribbon.  I coloured the butterfly with distress inks and a water pen, using similar colours to the inspiration card.  Add a shadow of grey watercolour pencil to add depth.


Of course, yesterday, I relooked at my discarded piece and decided to colour the butterfly and see what it would look like.... I chose some aqua crayons to colour it, in yellow, orange and red and added some Iridescent Medium for a shimmer.  Didn't look too bad once I had coloured the butterfly, so went on to see what I could do to selvage it more....
More HA Inspiration

.... trimmed the panel, added some ribbon ( thanks to Donna who sent me some of her wonderful coloured ribbon and a piece undyed) that I used some Scattered Straw distress to colour and added a sentiment in black at the bottom, layered onto black card base ( think that finished it off well)....Didn't look half bad in the end....
so two cards, same stamps, different colours ~ not bad.

Both have been entered into the Hero Arts challenge for the month... inspired by the catalogue.

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope you enjoyed my two cards.... and are having a great weekend... back to work tomorrow for me... after 2 weeks off!!!!!

10 comments:

Pajalu said...

Wow Dawn what amazing cards! I love them both (must admit that butterfly is a fav). I'm sorry that your hols. are coming to an end xoxoxoxo

DustyPenny (Joy Ott) said...

Nice cards, Dawn! I like the grass with the music!

CinnamonSally said...

Hi Dawn, love both of these cards although I think the darker one is my favourite. Its hard going back to work after two weeks off isn't it!! Hope all goes well.
Hugs
Sally

Barb said...

It's always so hard when the vacation is over! Mine ends today too, as I leave for work in an hour. :( Love both of your cards, Dawn! That butterfly is a favorite of mine too and it goes so well with the grass!

Sherri Everett Thompson said...

These are just stunning, Dawn! I love the soft backgrounds, and that butterfly is just beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing!

Tiffany Ervin said...

Wow, really pretty cards Dawn, both of them are so elegant!

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Dawn,

These two cards are gorgeous. I love that butterfly and I am so glad that you were able to save that second card. You did a great job. Take care and have a great week.

stampingandstitching said...

These are two gorgeous cards, Dawn! Great job on the masking and I love your combination of stamps! It's hard going back to work after a break but hopefully the day flew by for you!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful cards! Love the music background on the second card behind the wheat!

Jacqueline said...

These are beautiful Dawn!!