Sunday, September 18, 2011

Inspired by.... Scrumplescrunch aka Susan....

As many of you may know my friend Susan... (Scrumplescrunch) makes the most adorable Shabby Chic/Vintage type cards... She does a lot of her own water coloured papers for backgrounds and has taught me how she does them.  Recently she sent me a wonderful Get Well card....
Isn't it just beautiful.  I adore it.  So much so that it inspired me to try a bit of Shabby Chic.

I had been playing around with some water colours the other week and made some background papers.  One of them was in my favourite purples ~ with some golden tones.
Here is my card ~ totally CASE'd from Sue's.....

Inspired by Scrumplescrunch ~ Sue

I took my background and stamped a number of stamps on it.  First a Harlequin stamp inked up with Milled Lavender and Spun Sugar distress inks. These dried very light on the card but give it a subtle background.  I also stamped Hero Arts Silhouette Spray, and Old French Writing in the Milled Lavender and then the script stamp again in Dusty Concord...a little bit darker.  I made it patchy for the shabby look .  I then used my new Sew Easy tool to make the stitch holes and sewed around the card.  I added some paper hearts sponged in the purple ink, down one side.  My three butterflies are from a Martha Stewart punch and were stamped with the script stamp too and finished with a pearl.  My flower is a Spellbinders Rose die cut with some fine fabric that came with the flowers sent by my work, as is the ribbon behind it.  Just had to save these bits.  I used a lilac sparkle brad for the flower centre.  The smallest petals are a piece of card that I have distressed with the Dusty Concord ink.    Some Hero Arts lace along the bottom and a Hero Arts sentiment stamp and it's all done.  I am really pleased with the look, and am thankful to Sue for the wonderful inspiration.

Had a huge walk with hubby this morning along the beach at Takapuna. 2.5 kms ( 1.5 miles)  Did get a bit wet, but it was lovely walking along the sand.   Tonight for dinner we are heading round to our son's place.  He is cooking a roast chicken.  I've made a chocolate cake for dessert.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers

Dawn

10 comments:

Barb said...

A walk on the beach sounds wonderful. Love how Sue's gorgeous card inspired you, Dawn. Beautiful background and I love the soft purple shades! Have fun tonight! :)

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous cards! Love the soft hues of lavender in yours and the layered stamping. Beautiful! The walk sounds ever so nice and dinner with the son is a perfect end to a lovely day!

CinnamonSally said...

So love the vintage style and these cards are fab Dawn. Love Susans green so pretty and love your pastels. Enjoy your dinner.
Sallyx

Marion E. said...

What a stunning cards. Thanks for your respons on my blog about My Graphico's outdoor fun.... I thought that caring for plants outside your home was that too... sorry for taking that for a mistake...
Please delete my entry.

Hugs Marion

Sue said...

Hello Dawn
How pleasantly surprised I was to see you cased my card, my goodness for someone who does not do much shabby you have made a card with a nostalgic feel to it; by using the softer side of purple -Lavender.
Do you know it was once thought to be associated with little old ladies with lavender hair colour!!!! but I think it is now accepted as sweet scents of the floral type and sensual.
I am flattered and you have done a brilliant job.
Did you watch beat Wales beat Samoa?
Smiles:)

dustypenny (Joy) said...

Very pretty, Dawn!

debby4000 said...

Oh this is so beautiful Dawn.
luv
Debby

Vicky said...

Beautiful cards. That lavender is so gorgeous. Have a good dinner at Kierans house, we too are having roast chicken. No chocolate cake here though :( (I wish) hehe

Elizabeth Allan said...

Great shabby chic design Dawn!

Tiffany said...

These are some really lovely lavenders! Love that harlequin backdrop pattern!