Friday 22 March 2024

Bird on a Branch

 It's been a busy week... haven't had much time to craft... but finished work early.  During the week I saw that Scrapbook Central was having a class by Chick Mitchell.  As this is in Wellington (8 hours south of me) I can't go... but Chick has designed some cards with a bird and some beautiful backgrounds.  I contacted her and found the bird was from Memory Box.  Of course I had to get it!  And it arrived yesterday late afternoon.  So after signing off my computer (working from home day!) and before doing the housework, I popped into the craft room and had a play. 

 

I started by putting the little birdie together.  I die cut with some 160gm Fabriano paper.  It's a light cream colour (although the packaging says white)  It cuts like butter.  I used inks from Altenew's Tea Party ink set to add colour to the layers with a touch of some brown to darken parts.  The branches, flowers and leaves are from Spellbinders - Layered Cherry Blossom die set.  I added a touch of the lightest red inks to the creamy dies.  Used some rose gold metallic card for the centres.   My background was a variation on a technique that Chick taught at SENZ craft fair last July.  Used a chipboard panel of leaves.  I inked them with some Distress Oxide in Speckled Egg and spritzed and laid it onto my panel.  I then blended some of the same ink through the panel like a stencil and finally just added some of the ink onto the panel.  Just love the look I achieved.   Die cut a scalloped panel from Gina K Master Layouts 4 and trimmed the panel to fit inside.  Added the branches, flowers and leaves and the little birdie.  Finished with a pre-printed sentiment from Creative Expressions Woodies.

I can't wait to try different colour combos for this little bird.   I scoped out Pinterest and have got a few samples on my board.

Entering into Darnell's NBUS challenge - as it is the first outing for the die


and Just Us Girls - in Collaboration with Time Out Challenges - Birds of a Feather


5 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Great shading on that sweet birdie, Dawn! Love the flowers on the branch too! Say - if you like, check out Just Us Girls/Time Out collaboration challenge using birds:
https://timeoutchallenges.blogspot.com/2024/03/challenge-259-special-collaboration.html

Chrissy said...

I love this one Dawn, I love the bird and his colours and the beautiful spring blossoms, such a gorgeous card..

luv CHRISSYxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Such a pretty card Dawn - that bird is delightful, and your background is a great one, that complements the foreground colours beautifully.
Blessings
Maxine

ElizStewart said...

Dawn...simply beautiful. Love the coloring of the bird, of the flowers. Just a lovely card. Thanks so much for joining and sharing with us at Just Us Girls and Time Out.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Stunning card! Love the contrast of the red bird :) - Thanks for joining in at JUGS