Saturday 27 April 2024

Butterflies - two different watercolour looks

 Hi there.  Yesterday morning I was not feeling well so decided that a day of rest was required.   I spent the morning dozing in bed and by lunch time was feeling a little better.   I got up when hubby arrived home at 12.30, finished work for the day.  He pottered around outside as it was a nice day and I watched some You Tube videos, sitting on the sofa in the dinning room, with the sun streaming in the kitchen door.   One of the videos I watched was from Katie Partiet (here) using water colour crayons to "paint/stamp" a sweet butterfly.  I have some water colour crayons that I bought man, many years ago - and haven't used them for years!  So thought I'd try the technique -


For my butterfly I used one of the Altenew Dovetail Butterflies.  I used my Gallery by Mungka crayons to "paint" onto the base layer of the stamp. I got a splash of the blue paint onto my base, so ran with it by adding more blue splats and some gold watercolour paint splats as well.  I used black ink to add the outline layer of the butterfly.  I stamped the Gina K -It's all about You" sentiment in the lower corner, then liberally spritzed the whole card with Shimmer Spray - Sparkle.  In real life you can see all the shimmer and shine.  I added a black layer and added to a white card base.   

I then decided to try the same technique but to use metallic watercolour paints.   Quite a different look. 



This time I used the Brights Jasart metallic watercolours and over stamped the line image with Teal Cave Fresh Dye Ink from Altenew.  This time I used the matching dies to cut the butterfly.  I used some gold metallic paint to paint a scrap of card and die cut the Altenew Linear Crossroads die and the sentiment from Altenew's Versatile Sentiments. I stamped the sub-sentiment from Altenew's Sweetest Peas stamp set on the same gold painted scrap.    I used the same gold paint to add splatter to a black panel and then mounted the dies and sentiments together.  Another really shimmery card in real life.

Enjoyed trying out both the crayons and the metallic paints.   Did get to spend a bit of time in the craft room this afternoon, doing a card for Craft Roulette and had a lovely visit from Florence and her Daddy, when he came to borrow his Dad's edge trimmer!  She is growing so quickly, almost 10 months now! 

2 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous pair of butterflies, Dawn - the one on the black background is especially dramatic!!

Greta said...

Both came out so pretty, Dawn! How great that a couple of your grandkids live close so you can see them more often.