It’s time for Christmas in July at Die Cut Divas, and I’m excited to share a festive card project featuring our fabulous sponsor this month, Waffle Flower.
When I was down at the Tauranga Create and Craft event, I
picked up the Waffle Flower Cardinal Duo Christmas die. A card I spotted
on the Waffle Flower website sparked the idea for today’s project, and I
decided to pair the cardinal with the Waffle Flower Poinsettia Frame die that was already in my stash.
I started with a dark green top-folding card base, then cut the Poinsettia Frame die twice from light green card. Because I only wanted to use the corner sections of the frame, I did a little die-cut surgery and trimmed each one into two parts.
For the details, I cut the separate poinsettias from white
card, the berries from red card, and the flower centres from yellow card. I
also created a white frame using two dies from the Simon Says Stamp A2
Nesting Stitched Rectangles set.
Before assembling everything, I stamped a sentiment from the
Waffle Flower Star Snowflake Sentiment set and heat embossed it in
white. Once the frame was in place, I added the poinsettia frame corners, then
layered on the white flowers, berries, and centres to build up the festive
arrangement.
Next, I die cut the cardinal and used the matching stencils
to colour it with Altenew inks. I was just about ready to attach it when I
realised I had cut the bird facing the wrong direction! So, back to the
die-cutting machine I went. I cut the other cardinal, coloured it up, and this
time he was facing exactly the way I wanted.
Of course, that first cardinal wasn’t going to waste, so it led me to create a bonus card.
For this one, I used the other sections of the Poinsettia Frame die that I had cut away for the first card. I die cut the flowers again and added a subtle touch of Pink Crystal ink, then cut the berries from red card and added a few extra green leaves.
I gave the pieces a generous spritz of shimmer spray for a
bit of sparkle, then cut a smaller white frame and added another sentiment from
the Star Snowflake Sentiment set. A few white acrylic paint splatters
finished the background before I added the cardinal. This one was coloured in
slightly lighter shades than the cardinal on the first card, giving the bonus
card its own softer look.
I love when a little crafting mishap turns into a second project. The Waffle Flower cardinal and poinsettia dies work beautifully together, and both cards have such a cheerful Christmas-in-July feel. Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope this inspires you to join in the festive fun at Die Cut Divas.
As my Cardinals had there first outing today, I'm entering into Darnell's NBUS challenge. This month is all about appreciating the companies that help us make our cards.


5 comments:
Both cards are marvelous. I lov ethe deep colors of the first card and I feel like you've captured outer space within the cardinal's purview.
Two beautiful cards Dawn - what a fun afternoon you and your die cutting machine must have had :)
Blessings
Maxine
Both of the cardinal cards are gorgeous.
Two fabulous cardinals with poinsettias cards, Dawn - love them both but I lean towards #2 with the corner clusters covering part of the frame. Great on the dark backgrounds & I love the splatter on card 2!!
Absolutely beautiful cards, Dawn! I love the poinsettia frame and may eventually decide to get it!
Post a Comment