Yesterday I spent some time making cards for my dad, with
two special dates coming up very close together. Father’s Day is on 6
September, and his birthday follows just a few days later on 10 September.
Because I need to post both cards—and NZ Post can be a little slow these
days—I’m trying to be organised and get them sent early.
I decided to go with a mixed media theme for both cards, beginning with the Father’s Day design.
I started with a piece of ombré patterned paper from Uniti
in shades of blue and purple, then cut it using Gina K Master Layout 1.
To build up the background, I used the Circle Disruption
stencil from AALL & Create and added areas of blue and purple ink with my
blending brushes. I also brought in Memento Toffee Crunch, along with Altenew
Cloudy Night and Cloudy White inks, to add extra depth and contrast.
For the embellishments, I die-cut several black cogs using
Paper Rose Studio cog dies. I randomly dabbed them with embossing ink, then
heat embossed them with WOW Metallic Copper Sparkle powder for a worn, metallic
effect. A few dots from a gold Posca pen added the final touches of shine.
I finished the card with a pre-printed sentiment from a
Uniquely Creative digital kit, then matted the panel onto black card before
attaching it to a white card base.
I carried the mixed media look through to Dad’s birthday
card as well, this time creating a bold blue-and-gold panel. I ink-smooshed the
background using Catherine Pooler Juniper Mist and Distress Oxide Chipped Sapphire,
which gave the piece a rich, layered feel.
Next, I used a Craft Giraffe splatter stencil with Versamark
ink, then added Ranger Gold embossing powder for texture and shimmer. Once the
panel was ready, I punched out a pile of 1-inch squares and arranged them
diagonally across a die-cut panel.
To complete the card, I backed the panel with dark blue card, attached it to a white base, and added a sentiment cut from gold mirror card.
Both cards have the same mixed media feel, but each one has
its own personality. Now I just need to get them safely into the post and hope
they arrive in plenty of time!


4 comments:
Wonderful mixed media cards Dawn - and also great masculine makes - well done
Blessings
Maxine
Fabulous cogs on card one and I love the tile look of card two - both great cards for your dad!!
These are brilliant, Dawn! Love what you did with the gears, but my favorite is the graphic 2nd card!
Love these arty cards altogether, super texture. WOW, you are on a roll. CarolG
Post a Comment