Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Craft Roulette #337 - Penguin inspired card,

This week’s card was inspired by my friend Linda W, whose adorable penguin card for Craft Roulette #337 immediately sparked an idea. She used penguins with a blue gingham-style background, and as soon as I saw it, I knew I had the perfect die set waiting in my stash.

Even better, the die set was getting its very first outing, which made this project feel extra fun. I love when a challenge gives me the perfect excuse to use something new.

I started by searching through my paper stash for the right blue check pattern, but nothing quite matched what I had in mind. After a quick search on PNGWING, I found a lovely blue tartan checked image, resized it, and printed it as an A2 panel. I then die cut the panel with Gina K Designs Master Layouts #2.

The print was a little brighter and whiter than I wanted, so I softened it with a quick blend of Altenew Eastern Skies ink. Once the colour felt right, I matted the panel with some paler blue patterned paper to tie everything together.

For the die-cut sentiment, I used soft blue glitter cardstock from Crafters Choice for the top layer, then added a slightly offset black layer behind it for extra definition and dimension. The penguins came together from scraps of coloured paper and black cardstock, which made them a great way to use up little leftovers from my stash.

To finish them off, I added Clear Glossy ink to the white parts of the hats for a little shine.

Since the die set was making its debut, I’m also entering this card in Darnell’s NBUS challenge.   It always feels good to give something new a proper first outing!

 

I'm also entering the Merry Little Christmas Challenge - #70




7 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

What a cute die that penguin stack is Dawn, you have made a fabulous card using it
Blessings
Maxine

Jeanne H said...

A darling card...love it.

creationsnz said...

Super creative Dawn, I like the simple 'merry' and those stacked penguins are such fun. CarolG

Greta said...

Over the top cute!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Darling trio of penguins on the pretty blue gingham, Dawn !! Glad I could inspire you!!

Darnell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darnell said...

This is adorable, Dawn, and such a cute CASE of Linda's fun card! I love the background paper with the penquins and think it gives the perfect chilly feeling to the design! And I love all the penguin details and the glitter of the Merry! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Hugs, Darnell