Sunday, 27 September 2026

Pastel colours - Two cards

Today I’m sharing two cards I’ve made over the past few days, both featuring a soft pastel colour palette.

First up is a card inspired by the Faux Batik tutorial from Splitcoaststampers.

This is such a fun and easy technique. All you need is a stencil and a white wax crayon. Place a sheet of thin paper or card over the stencil, then rub across it with the crayon to reveal the pattern. Add a little ink blending, and the background is done! I die-cut the finished panel and layered it onto green card. I used printer paper, which was slightly too thin and warped a little, but I think that only adds to the batik effect.

To finish the card, I added black die-cut leaves using the Pinkfresh Studio Curvy Leaves die, along with a black Couture Creations sentiment layered over a vellum circle.

 My second card was inspired by a YouTube video from Jo Simons.Jo is the queen of embossing, with so many fabulous techniques to share, and this one is especially pretty.

 

The technique involves applying watercolour pens to the inside of an embossing folder before running it through the machine. I used Altenew’s Whimsy Motif 3D embossing folder with Fabriano Mixed Media card, which can handle the amount of water needed to create that lovely soft effect. Once dry, I cut the panel with a stitched rectangle die.

I scribbled Zig watercolour markers across the inside of the folder, spritzed it with water, and then ran it through my Platinum 6. When the panel came out, I gave it one more quick spritz before setting it aside to dry. A Spellbinders Must Have Sentiments sentiment was the perfect finishing touch. I loved the beautiful softness of the result, so I decided it didn’t need any further embellishment.

 I also had a lovely Saturday afternoon when my granddaughters came to visit. Grace and I spent a couple of hours together in the craft room, where she looked through some of my cards and decided to CASE three of them. She used the same products but changed up the colours to make each design her own. She did a wonderful job—with a little help from Nanny on some of the fussier bits and pieces! The weather was cool and wet, so it was the perfect way to spend time together.

No comments: