Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Paper Towels, Distress Ink, and a Little Christmas Magic

I recently upgraded my access to Laurel and Justine’s Stress Free Cardmaking Summit with every intention of getting an early start. Of course, life had other plans, and I only managed to watch a few sessions. Thank goodness for the upgrade—I can now catch up at my own pace.

The other day, I watched Juliana Michael’s tutorial on embossing with paper towels. Yes, you read that right: paper towels! I was amazed by the result. The technique created a beautifully embossed texture and instantly inspired me to give it a try.

Like Juliana, I chose to use the reverse side of the embossed panel. I lightly swiped Distress Ink in Bundled Sage and Pumice Stone across the surface, then added touches of gold metallic rub-on wax for a festive shimmer.

I did make one small mistake: I cut the panel too short. Rather than starting again, I simply adjusted the length of the card base, so everything fitted together. Sometimes a quick design change is all it takes to turn a mishap into part of the creative process.

To complete the card, I found a “Joy” die in my stash from Chloe’s Creative Stamps. It had originally been a magazine freebie, and it was perfect for this project. I die-cut the word from red and gold card, then layered the two pieces with a slight offset to create a subtle shadow.

A couple of holly leaves and a berry added the final festive touch. This project was a lovely reminder that it is always worth trying something a little different—especially when an everyday item like a paper towel can create such a stunning result.


No comments: