Saturday 14 January 2012

Clean and Simple Card Making Classes.




I joined up with the CAS card making classes over at Online Card Classes.   I'm a bit behind as I didn't join up till Day 3.  So far I've managed a couple of cards from Day 1.  It was about using sketches.


My first card used this sketch and one of the ideas from the the class.   However in the end, I changed it around.  

CAS  Day 1

My original idea was to use the die cut  "Thank you" and add to a coloured background piece.   However I changed my mind.  I took the negative cut and added the colour underneath the cut out.  The coloured background was made with makers and the acetate smooch technique.  I cut a flower out from some of the paper.  I really needed a bigger sentiment, but didn't have anything suitable.  I liked that we were taught that CAS doesn't have to be about white space but about "negative" space and you can use coloured base.  My pale green card is from Stampin' Up pastel cardstock.

My second card used this sketch

CAS Day 1 ~ Sketch

Now as you'll notice my card doesn't quite follow the sketch.   That's because when I put the flowers on, I didn't check the orientation correctly and found they were up the wrong way.  So I just went with it.... The background is a Hero Arts cling stamp called Leaf and Floral background.  I stamped in with Soft Apricot shadow ink after masking the centre off.  I coloured some card stock with the ink to cut the flowers out.   I'm enjoying this class and learning a lot.  There is tons of inspiration from the teachers as well as the gallery of the participants.   

Got my son moved to his new flat... it's a cute little cottage out in West Auckland... in a semi rural area.  Looking off the deck, all you see is paddocks with sheep.  But it's only 5 mins from the motorway and about 10 mins from a big shopping area.   It's about 22 kilometres from our house, so not too far. 

Well, I've been watching "Pretty Woman" as I've been typing this... Haven't seen this movie in years, but am enjoying it immensely.  

A big thanks to all my visitors.  I do appreciate all your comments.  

Dawn

9 comments:

Stamp with Angela said...

Two lovely cards. I like the way you masked off the middle part of the second one. It looks good with the faux stitching too. The flowers in each card look very effective. Are they from a punch?

The CAS online class sounds like lots of fun. Although it is already half way through, I am still wondering about whether I should take part. I haven't done anything like this before.

Donnas Den said...

Lovely cards, Dawn.

Donna xx

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Dawn,
You will be happy to know that my craft space is back to normal and I have no messy bits around.
(all binned!!!!)
Your first card in the Palette of Verdant Moss is exquisite and combining with White has an underlying element of warmth.
And I personally think the sentiment is just right in it's size, perhaps 3 dots to match your ribbon may tie it together.
(only a suggestion)...
Your second card in using a hot palette of burnished orange is friendly and playful. You appear to have CAS sorted my friend, perhaps there is a need for me who whimpers and whines constantly about this genre to be constructive and to learn the technique correctly!!!!!!!!
Smiles:)

kiwimeskreations said...

Dawn these are fabulous - the green one is so elegant and peaceful, the floral orange speaks more of joy.
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia L. said...

Love both of your cards, Dawn! You are so inspired and happy making these cards! I can tell :)

donna mikasa said...

wonderful cards, Dawn! I am so behind on the CAS class but you've inspired me to get inky! love your take on the sketches!

Lisa said...

Don't worry Dawn- I started at the beginning and I am still behind!!
Love your takes on the sketches and that apricot ink is delicious!
Hope you son is getting settled and liking his new digs :)

Suzanne C said...

Both cards are so pretty! Love the orange around the edges on the second card and the clean lines on the first!

Tiffany Ervin said...

Very beautiful and vibrant CAS cards! I love to do CAS from time to time, glad to see you are enjoying this class!