Saturday 6 April 2019

AECP - Beautiful Details...


Well my good intentions to get my level 2 accreditation done quickly this year have fallen by the wayside!  Life and other obligations seem to have side-tracked me.   I recently purchased some Altenew Academy classes which prompted me to review some of my older classes and get another class project done for the AECP.  I chose to review the "Beautiful Details" class lead by Marika Rahtu.  Marika is a beautiful colourist and her class was enlightening.  I learnt alot about different ways to use your stamps and colouring mediums.

I chose to CASE Marika's day two card.  The emphasis on this day was about detailed leaves.... She used Zig Markers to stamp and add detailing to the leaves from the "Beautiful Day" stamp set.   I took the outline leaves stamp and used a Gray marker to "paint" onto the stamp and add to some watercolour paper.  Next was using two other gray makers (Light Gray and Blue Gray) with a little water to add the detail.

The best tip from Marika was to ensure you worked in layers... and let the layers dry in between each one.  I really enjoyed doing this and love the darker blue gray layer.  It really popped.  These colours were quite different to the ones Marika used.

For my base card, I chose to use blues for my sponging


I used two different blues - Altenew Caribbean Sky and Persian Blue to sponge the card with a bit of an ombre look with more colour in the lower left hand side of the card.  I also added some splatter ith the Persian Blue ink.  I liked the blue as it tied nicely with the Blue Grey in the leaves.  I chose to use a sentiment from "More than Words" set at the top of the card, and like Marika noted, added a stripe of some bright blue card at the bottom to balance the card.   In order to have the focus on the detailed leaves I left the flower uncoloured.   Some blue and clear sequins finished the card.

Although I CASE's Marika's card, I feel that I added my own touch with my colour choices.  I will be using this idea again as it really produces an elegant card. 

Here's one last view of my card.


Thanks for stopping by today.  Hope your weekend is going to be crafty.  I'm enjoying my Saturdays as Rugby season has started and hubby heads out to watch the Senior team from his club play, giving me the afternoon to myself!



6 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

WOW Dawn this is amazing - love the leaves and the way you left the flower white to emphasis them. A really elegant card
Blessings
Maxine

Betty said...

beautiful work, Dawn - you should get an A+ for this one - always loved Marika's work.

Greta said...

Oh wow--your card is just gorgeous, Dawn! Love the colored leaves with the white bloom!

Erum Tasneem said...

This is so stunning! I love this in blue.
I am so glad that you entered your beautiful work in the AECP assignment Gallery. Thank you for sharing your creative process! Fabulous job!

Virginia L. said...

I love the poetic look of this, Dawn. The blue gradient look is so soothing and gorgeous! Thanks so much for entering your beautiful work in Altenew AECP assignment Gallery. Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

Monika Reeck said...

the blue behind the flower is beautiful Dawn
love the ombre effect
beautifully made
hugs
Monika