Wednesday 24 April 2019

Altenew Academy - Progressive Cardmaking Day 2

Warning - long post today...

I'm off work for a few more days after Easter.  We get Monday as a Public Holiday and then again we have Thursday off as it's ANZAC Day.  As my work (Inland Revenue) is going through a major systems upgrade over this time, there is hardly anyone in... most of us taking the opportunity to take a few extra days leave.  Friday is D-Day so I'll be back at work - I'm a Key User - we are the help for our colleagues for the new system, so it will be full on for a while.  I'm enjoying the break as it means that I get onto the Altenew class as soon as it arrives in my inbox  (4.00pm NZ time)
So on to Day 2 from Justine's class.  Yesterday I drove into the class which is all about stencils.   Now I have to tell you that I don't have many Altenew stencils... actually only 4 - two of which are a layering set... so I had to pull out some other stencils.  All are coloured with Altenew inks and the sentiments are all Altenew so hope that counts.  It's all about trying out the techniques, I'm sure.

Beginner:


For the beginner, Justine showed us some simple stenciling... I chose a Ultimate Crafts stencil called Rolling Mesh.  I went for a bit of an ombre look using Blush, Rouge, Crimson and Velvet inks blended with my brushes.  To finish a sentiment from Amazing You and a few random dots of gold glitter pen.  (Hard to see in the pic but lovely in real life)

Intermediate:


Justine used a lovely layered flower for her sample.  This Layering Medallion is the only layering set I have.  I chose to use Mountain Mist and Volcano Lake to blend the ink together.  It really gives an interesting background.  I mounted it onto some teal card and then used a hello die which I cut from the teal and a dark green card.  The sentiment is from Versatile Vases.

Advanced:


Justine's advanced card used a two layered flower stencils and she used some paste to add the second layer.  Nothing like this in my stash, so I improvised.  I took the Classy Stripe stencil and used two colours of cream inks... Hazelnut and Almond Butter to swipe through the stencil in random spots.  Then I did the same random swipes with Versamark ink and used a Platinum embossing powder to add the gold bits.  I grabbed a flower and some leaves that have been sitting in my "will use someday" bowl and added to the background.  I used the Platinum EP to embossed the sentiment from Adore You set onto some shimmery cream card.

Then this morning I decided to try the advanced technique - this time adding pencils to an ink blended stenciled background.  It's not completely finished yet..


I used a Penny Black stencil with the Altenew inks - Coral Bliss, Hydrangea,  Green Fields and Firefly.  Once I had finished the stenciling, I gently blended some of the Coral Bliss and Firefly over the entire roses and leaves to give a glow.  I then used a Coral and Green Prismacolor pencil to add some detailing.  Add the Nuvo white drops.  Once they dry I'll add a sentiment and mount onto a base card.

Thanks for stopping by today, I do appreciate if you've made it to the end.  It's photo heavy today!
Now I'm off to do Day 3 - Masking.  I've watched the video and my mind is churning with ideas. 

Have a great day

8 comments:

Betty said...

you are so good getting all your homework done with those wonderful cards - i didn't get started until late on day 2 because even tho i was registered the class wasn't in my course list and had to wait until they fixed it - so i'm way behind.

Krafterscart said...

Wow...all the cards are stunning Dawn. Loved all of them, you are making good use of your holisays. Yes IRD website down so we get extra time for filing our returns.

Greta said...

I'd say you're definitely getting an A! These cards are incredible, Dawn--love them all!

Arlene said...

Fantastic work. You are doing so well with your class.

kiwimeskreations said...

Wow you have been busy Dawn, and have some amazing results to show for it - these cards are fabulous
Blessings
Maxine

Monika Reeck said...

I love the sponging on the first card so much
the second one love all in green Dawn

the third one woow the gold is stunning behind the flower
the last one oh I love love the stencil and the ink blending
so beaufitully flower stencil you have
hugs
Monika

Virginia L. said...

I definitely see the progression that you made in the last year, Dawn! Your design sense and craftsmanship get better all the time! Thanks so much for playing Virginia’s “Show & Share”! FABULOUS!

creationsnz said...

Another fabulous floral work from you - I LOVE the one with striped background. CarolG