Saturday 3 August 2019

Christmas Twofer - Christmas Kickstart #16

Over at Jo's Christmas Kickstart this fortnight she has the lovely Darnell as her elfin helper.... and as Darnell runs her own challenge - Twofer Card Challenge... that's what its all about.  Create two Christmas cards using two different designs but only one stamp/die with the prompt being Christmas Tree.   
 

I did have to think a bit about this one... then it came to me that I could practice my Gelli plate backgrounds and make that my twofer.   So off I went and inked by the Gelli plate, lifted off some trees and stamped onto card... then realised I had two similar backgrounds...and the idea was to use two different designs.  Oh well, at least I had one card done...and then the second one came quickly to mind... CAS as is my want!  So here they are:






  
For my Gelli plate background I used some Altenew Parrot and Olive inks to add the colour to my plate and then a quick spritz of water and used my Hero Arts "Merry Merry Christmas Tree" stamp to pull off some of the ink.  Because it's not a full solid stamp, it was hard to see where it came off the plate but I got some awesome stamping onto my other card.   Once my print had dried, I use the olive ink to add some of the trees back onto the background.  I the took a Catherine Pooler stamp "Wonderful Time of the Year" to add a sentiment.  Just a few gold faceted gems and it was done.   And the bonus is I still have this background to use


My second twofer card uses an embossing folder for it's background with the tree stamped in the centre panel.  I found the sentiment in a Me to You Carte Blanche set (from 2014) - I used just the fist tree words from the sentiment.

And as I went over to link this up at Christmas Kickstart I was nicely surprised to see my Angel card made a Star on the top of the Tree for the last challenge... Thanks for choosing me Jo.

It's a cold winter's day here today, so was fun to spend some time in the crafting room with the heater on.  Later today Miss Grace is coming to visit Nanny (and Pop) when her parents come for dinner.  They are off to Hawaii next weekend for a week.  Big trip with a 3 month old but I'm sure she'll take it in her stride.   I haven't seen her for two weeks so looking forward to all the smiles I've been seeing on her mummy's Instagram and Facebook.

Thanks for stopping by today.  Happy crafting this weekend.

6 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

What a stunning pair of cards Dawn - love that tree stamp and you have used it so inventively!
Blessings
Maxine

Dotty Jo said...

Two stunning cards, Dawn! Love the colours you've chosen and what a fabulous way to use that stamp on both cards. Twofering is a challenge, but it's great fun. Thanks for playing along at The Christmas Kickstart Challenge again. It's lovely to have so many regular players, Jo x

Betty said...

have never tried a gelli plate but it certainly looks intriguing and gives wonderful results - two fantastic cards Dawn!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fabulous twofer, Dawn!! Just love your tree background and that tree image looks amazing within the embossed frame on card two!! I'll have to check out that challenge - looks like fun!!

Greta said...

Totally love your 2 cards, Dawn! Wonderful use of the Geli plate background, but oh wow--that second, elegant card is my favorite! Glad you get to see Grace--they grow so fast!

Darnell said...

Well, Dawn, I was all filled with lots of compliments for your cards and then you went and mentioned wee Grace and how you get to see her after two weeks ... which is like light years in changes at that age! ... and then she's off to Hawaii! What a big girl! When I publish this, I'm going to see if there are photos. It's such a great age when their personalities really start to blossom. Okay, okay, back to your cards!

Thank you for playing in our Kickstart/Twofer project! You have ROCKED the whole concept of two distinct designs and I'm glad you even shared your third panel ready-to-make into a card! I love the results you got with your jelly plate and the beautiful shade of green! And then your CASlicious second design melted my CAS-loving heart with all that white space textured with an ornament e/f to frame the single tree!! Mwah! Hugs, Darnell