Saturday 16 January 2021

Make your own background

It was my turned to chose our technique challenge at my NZ swap group.   I has seen a video at Splitcoaststampers - about making your own mixed media/collage backgrounds so that's what I chose for us to challenge ourselves to do. 

Mine wasn't quite the same as the video, but I started with a panel I had made using the Gelli plate.  I had been inspired by the amazing Jennifer McGuire to use die cuts when making my prints (see her video HERE) and had used some green oxide inks and some butterfly die cuts. 


Over top of the two green inks I added another layer of green blended through a Paper Roses Studio Spring Floral stencil.  Next came some selected stamping with an edging stamp in some grey ink.  I stamped the Altenew sentiment (from Spider Mum set) and then added the fussy cut flower.  It is an unbranded stamp that I stamped onto some Bristol paper and used Zig Markers to colour.  

I had fun making my own background paper and was really happy with my outcome.  

My first week of work has finished... it felt very long and tiring.  It's been quite warm here this past week so too hot to go our walking after work so feeling a bit out of sorts not doing much exercise.  Planning a good long walk tomorrow morning. 

Take care everyone.  Keep safe. 

7 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Love this card Dawn - I am so happy to have it displayed above my desk :) From across the room the bright flowers look three dimensional!
It's been stifling here too, so I also have not done much walking
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

CinnamonSally said...

Gorgeous card Dawn and love your background, so clever!

Dotty Jo said...

Looks gorgeous, Dawn, Jo x

Betty said...

I just bought a gel plate 'cause jennifer, you and others have given me the bug to give it a try - and love how you made your whole background - wonderful!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous background with the gelli plate, Dawn!! I bought one a while back but have yet to use it - you've inspired me!!

Suze said...

Lovely card Dawn. I like the idea of using the diecuts with the Gelli Plate so will give this a go when I get a chance to have another play with my Gelli Plate.

Greta said...

Great job with the technique, Dawn--so pretty!