Sunday 16 August 2020

A fun embossed resist technique

NOTE: Photo heavy post!

My NZ swap group this month had a challenge to use an iron off embossed resist technique that Jennifer McGuire did a tutorial on a while back.    I had tried Jennifer's transfer part of the technique with not a lot of success in the past but re-watched the video tutorial and realised I had not in the past not used watercolour paper.  So over the last couple of days I made two backgrounds and got four cards..... At the moment I still haven't decided which one I will send to my swap partner - Pip

so here they all are

#1
For this one, I used Hero Arts Wavy Leaf background and a variety of Catherine Pooler inks and spritzed with Perfect Pearls water.  Once I had ironed off the embossing onto another card I added a Memory Box die (Bella Bouquet) cut from white card.  I used two Altenew stamp sets to make my sentiment panel.  I stamped the largest label from Apothercary Labels in CP Pixie Dust ink and once it was dry, white embossed the sentiment from Sophisticated Wreath.  I added the panel to a white card.

I am entering this into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge - Midsummer Blues 

#1A

This is the transferred EP card after ironing off the watercoloured one.  I added the same ink colours on it.  I used an Altenew border die to cut out the pretty panel.  I added it to a white card base, added a thin purple strip at each end and added a die cut sentiment.  The die is from Couture Creations. I cut it from black, purple and white card.

#2


For this card I used another Hero Arts background stamp called Outline Flowers.  I used much softer colours of Distress Oxides to colour up this one.  Once it was spritzed with the Pearlised water and dried, I again ironed off the embossing onto another card. I used the Altenew Apothecary labels nesting dies in two sizes to make my sentiment label.  The sentiment is from the Sophisticated Wreath set.  Added some Nuvo Drops in white  and some clear gems.  My die cuts are a Simon Says Stamp Daisy die.

#2A


The embossing powder didn't transfer as well on this one, but I ran with it anyway.  I used some Altenew purple inks to blend over the card.  I decided to try a new to me set from Altenew called Line Art.  I stamped it in Altenew Obsidian in, doing a bit of masking.  I got a really cool effect as there was just enough embossing transfer that caused the black ink to resist the stamping.   I had stamped two of the Pixie Dust Apothecary Labels.  I added another sentiment from the Sophisticated Wreath set.  I ended up getting a few finger prints on some part of the card...hence the black pearls on the label.

If you have made it to here... thank you for visiting.   I'll be working from home for the next 10 days... on Friday the government kept Auckland in Level 3 lockdown and the rest of the country in Level 2 lockdown.  The cluster in Auckland keeps growing... about 49 now from the four on Tuesday.    Hopefully we can get over this too.

6 comments:

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Four beauties with that iron-off technique, Dawn! Hey - you should add card one to the SSS Wednesday challenge! Color blue and Memory Box, both of which you have there. That ones' my fave though I love them all!

Greta said...

They're all beautiful, Dawn! I'm especially drawn to the 3rd one. Stay safe!

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

What a beautiful line up of cards Dawn! They're all so pretty! SO gorgeous hun. Hugs, Wends xoxo

kiwimeskreations said...

Great work Dawn - I love all your results, it is a fabulous technique! I have some new inks due tomorrow, so maybe that will inspire me... I am procrastinating, plus with packing and sorting and also helping with the bathroom repairs, life is sort of busy....
I hope they get this latest outbreak under control - the town here is on tender hooks with the two cases, and everyone is being super careful...
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Vicky Hayes said...

These are all so beautiful Dawn! What a lovely soft effect you've got using this technique.
So sorry you are having to lock down again. Take care,
Vicky x

Van said...

Innteresting read