Sunday 11 October 2020

Cards for two challenges.

 I'm back from my  5 days away - we did a little road trip south of Auckland.  We had a lovely trip away, did lots of walking - along the beach at Papamoa, through the bush in Rotorua and a short walk to see the Huka Falls in Taupo.  And some soaking in the Thermal Pools in Rotorua and in a warm creek riverside in Taupo.   Had fun riding the Luge in Rotorua and generally had a relaxing time.  

So today I have two cards to share.  One I made on Saturday after getting home from babysitting little Grace.  She had a bit of a hard week - ending up spending 2 days in Starship Hospital (Auckland's Children's Hospital) last weekend with high temperature and not being able to weight bear on her leg.  After lots of tests and scans she went home on Monday but got a call back on Wednesday and spend another two nights in hospital with more scans and blood tests.  She had a bacteria in her blood that caused the joint pain but is now much better.  Back to her smiley self. 


On to my cards... Both are for challenges hosted by my blog friends... Gail and Jo.  First up for Christmas Kickstart Challenge.. the theme is Festive Sweet Treats 


My card uses some Catherine Pooler Designs stamps - Candy Cane Lane and the matching dies.  I used Green Skirts and Rockin' Red CP inks to stamp the Candy Canes and Peppermint sweets and die cut them out.  I used the Grass Skirt to make the Plaid background - also a Catherine Pooler Design stamp.  The sentiment is just perfect for the sweets.   

My next card is for a brand new challenge blog - started by Gail and assisted by Jo.  It's called "Let's Squash It" - and is all about embossing folders.  Gail admits to being a bit obsessed with Embossing Folders... and so am I!  I just counted how many I have - 139 full sized folders and 23 border folders.  

So for the first challenge the theme is "Geometric and Metallic"  Use a Geometric EF and Metallic paper/card.  On the blog, Gail has a tutorial on making your own metallic paper.  For my card I used a faux metallic technique I did years ago from a video by Jennifer McGuire (here) using ink and Perfect Pearls.  


I used some Catherine Pooler Sauna ink and Gold Perfect Pearls to make my panel.  Then used a We Are Memory Keepers 3D Geometric die to emboss.  I trimmed the panel and layered it with some black card and then onto my white base.  I added a black die cut from  Penny Black.  

I have to say this was the second card I made using this technique.  I miss read the the challenge and didn't use a Geometric Folder.... so I have another card up my sleeve.  You'll see it sometime in the future!

Thanks Gail and Jo for starting this fun challenge.  

11 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Thanks for entering both challenges, Dawn, your cards are gorgeous! You have the honour of being the first every entrant of Let's Squash It! and we love you for it. Jo x

ionabunny said...

Yeah Dawn, double bubble deliciousness. Love the candy cane card and that is a fun technique and lovely result for the geometric embossing folder. That's the same one Jo used. Not in my collection!!! I think I might see lots of folders I need....... Thanks for entering the Let's Squash It!! challenge and for being the first of the 1st. HUGZ

Lin said...

So sorry to hear that this little sweetie was having a rough time = glad that they got to the bottom of it, but a scary time, I'm guessing!

Your vacation sounds wonderful! And I love that Christmas card!

Becca Cruger said...

awww i’m so sorry miss grins wasn’t all smiles and wound up in hospital. i’m glad she’s back to herself now. as for your cards they are vibrant and fun!

Betty said...

two great cards, Dawn - and thanks for the info about a new challenge - always fun to try something new. and glad to hear Grace is ok after her scary week (not so much for her, but for you and mom and dad)!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Poor sweet Grace - glad she's all better! Bet you enjoyed granny time with her! Just love both your cards - good on you for being the first entrant at Squash it! Love your faux metallic! And what a beauty with all the Christmas candy for Kickstart!!

Chrissie said...

Your post reminded me of our visit to Rotorua some years ago... we had an amazing holiday in NZ. WHat a lovely picture of your little one, it must have been a worrying time for you, hope all is well now.
Love your candy cane card and the second one made me wonder about how many embossing folders I have... I may do a stocktake!
Thanks for sharing with us at Christmas Kickstart this time!
Chrissie - Guest Elf!

kiwimeskreations said...

Isn't it tough when our wee ones end up in hospital - one of my DGS's ended up with a similar thing way back... Grace looks such a wee sweetie in the photo.
Stunning cards Dawn, especially the second one!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Greta said...

Oh how scary for little Grace to be so sick! Happy she's OK & oh boy is she cute! Wonderful cards for the challenges, Dawn!

Marlena M. said...

Stunning cards and so glad little one is better and smiling! Praise God!

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Gorgeous cards Dawn and beautiful photo of Grace! Sorry to hear she'd been poorly and in Starship! Glad they were able to treat her and she's back to herself again. Hugs, Wends xoxo