Sunday 3 October 2021

World Cardmaking Day - Take 2

 Hi there.  I got to play again today.  It's so cool to just having a play - not for a design team challenge... but just for fun.   Once again today I made three cards but as one is for my Hubby's birthday on the 16th, I won't share till after the day.  

I also took some time to watch some videos for inspiration.  My first card is inspired by Laurel Beard - this video that shows lots of different ways to use your Embossing folders.   One of her techniques was double embossing followed by inking embossing.  

I took a pale aqua sheet of card and ran it through the Cuttlebug with an unknown brand flowers and leaves folder.  Next I ran it through again, this time with Altenew's 3D Decorative Flowers folder.  It made a beautiful panel.  But like Laurel, I stepped it up a bit by blending on some ink.  I used Catherine Pooler's Aquatini ink which made the raised 3D flowers shine a bit more.  I had blended over a little mat and I sprayed it with some water to wipe it off the mat and thought it was a shame to waste the ink so dipped the card into the watery ink.  Gave some extra texture to the card.  I stamped a sentiment from Clearly Besotted "Say Something" stamp set and die cut it with a flag label from a Gina K Master Layout set.   I added a few clear flat sequins.    

My second card was inspired by this video by Natasha Foote..where she give us ideas for using black card bases/panels.  I was inspired by a card she made using a white embossed plaid pattern. 

I white embossed a Concord and 9th Plaid stamp onto some black card.  I used some Master Layout dies by Gina K to cut the stamped panel and cut some black and white layers.  I stamped and clear embossed a rose from Altenew;s Botanical Garden set onto some watercolour paper.  I stamped and embossed twice.  I coloured both flowers with Zig Markers and fussy cut it.  I cut just parts of the flower and the leaf and used some 3D tape to pop them up. I added a little sentiment from Mama Elephant Occasions Labels stamped with Obsidan black ink and clear embossed before I trimmed it to have a white border.   I added a few black gems to finish.   

I'm happy to have had time to play this weekend.  Not being able to go out much has meant that the weekends have lots of time to craft.   And it might be that we will stay in Level 3 lockdown as the numbers are still lingering.  Plus there are two cases outside of Auckland, despite the borders around Auckland being closed.  Tomorrow we will find out.  I'm desperate to get to cuddle Gracie - it's been almost 7 weeks.  

Take care and have fun crafting. 

4 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Fabulous cards Dawn - love that you have had time to 'play' and watch videos... I also watched both of those this morning :)., Loving the double embossed card, and that white plaid is stunning
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Lin said...

It's good to just play! Love your results, Dawn! And thanks for pointing me to Laurel's double-embossing - must give that a try!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just swooned over the double embossed card with extra inking, Dawn - love it!! The flower on plaid looks amazing too!!

Greta said...

Haven't been watching videos, but maybe I need to! Very interesting double embossing & a beautiful card! Love the striking look of the second card!