Monday 29 May 2023

Grungy Flower cards

 The other day I saw a lovely video from Natasha Foote - using a solid stamps and making a mixed media background.  Natasha used soft colours on her background and it was her inspiration that got me started.  My first background turned out a bit grungy and darker as I used paints for my base layer.  

I started by using Distress paints  and added to my card base.  Then lots of layers...Background Builders.  There are three wooden stamps each about 1.5" wide by 6" long.  I used various Distress inks to added them.  Also used some bubble wrap to add some texture.  Splatted some white ink spray.  Once everything was dry I stamped a Darkroom Door stamp in black ink and clear embossed.   Finished with a pre-printed sentiment from Creative Expressions Wordies.  

I decided to try and make a lighter background, albeit still a bit grungy. 


For this one I used Distress inks - Old Paper, Worn Lipstick Broken China and Victorian Velvet to smoosh onto my media mat and did the background.  Again used the bubble wrap. And some Gathered Twigs DI through a couple of stencils from Stampgiraffe.com.  One is dots and the other splatters.    Used the Stampin' Up stamps as well.  This time another of the Darkroom Door stamps, this time inked with Altenew Mahogany Bark ink.    The sentiment is part of another of the stamps in the set.  Added some hessian thread to finish.  

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               


6 comments:

Chrissy said...

Oooo,I love both Dawn, I love the grungy look these are fabulous..

Luv CHRISSYxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Looks as though you really had fun creating these background Dawn, with fabulous results!!
Blessings
Maxine

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Both fabulous, Dawn! I'm drawn to the darker one with the swath of gold but the pink with teal is stunning too!!

Cathy said...

Wonderful effects on both cards, TFS the video too, Cathy x

Greta said...

I'm so far behind, I've seen all your posts--but can't comment on all. Love these uniquely beautiful cards! Fun backgrounds!

creationsnz said...

Must say I like the darker moody card best. Nicely different to your usually elegant florals. CarolG